Understanding and Leveraging Networks

For the Spring Term, our morning class is “Understanding and Leveraging Networks”, taught by Noshir Contractor (known as Nosh). Before the term began, I wasn’t thrilled about this class. Networking events are boring to me and I dislike individuals who try to connect for their own personal benefit.

Thankfully, the assumption I made about the class was entirely wrong. “Understanding and Leveraging Networks” is not about networking; rather, it’s about the study of networks. This distinction is critically important. Each of us has a network, whether it is a personal network made up of family and friends or a professional network comprised of colleagues. The guys you play pick up basketball with; they’re in your network too. This class is a study of those network connections and the different roles people play in those networks.

Our first paper is rather interesting too. We are tasked with analyzing our own personal Board of Directors. Just as an organization has a Board of Directors that provides resources and guides in strategic decision-making, each of us has a group of people we heed advice from during important, life-changing events.

Nosh then tasked us with analyzing our personal Board of Directors for potential gaps. For instance, are there a lot of personal connections, but not enough professional connections in your network? If you only talk to your mother and father about a career change, that’s true for you. Perhaps there are a lot of peers in your network and it’s lacking that mentor/mentee relationship. For myself, that last statement is true. I have too many individuals in the same stage of life as me and need greater thought diversity.

How about your Board of Directors? Who are the people you call when you’re falling in love, making a career change or whether or not you should enroll in this program?