Using Real-World Lessons to Help Students Prepare for the Future

Art teacher. Organic caterer. Crate & Barrel recruiter. Staffing firm owner.

Pat Messina’s decades of diverse experiences have not only prepared her to serve as the School of Communication’s associate director of career services, but also to offer students a unique perspective as they embark on professional journeys of their own.

Networking has always played a big role in Messina’s success, and she shares that tidbit with students whenever she can. “I’ve never been afraid to look at opportunities that come my way—even if they’re not something I had considered before,” she says. “I encourage students to do the same.”

In fact, that’s one of the things she enjoys most about her role: helping students think through prospects they may not have considered. It can be challenging for recent graduates to figure out where they see themselves after earning an MS in Communication. “I like to help students network and figure out exactly what they want to do. Sometimes we have to start from Ground Zero and do assessments to determine what they love—and then we take it from there. But we get it figured out.”

She says now’s a great time to be in school. Although certain job markets may be slow, this downtime provides a unique opportunity to learn new skills that will pay off later. “Whether it’s through earning a degree or using LinkedIn Learning online, you can find ways to stay engaged,” she explains.

Within the EPICS (External Programs, Internships, and Career Services) office, she helps students perfect their résumés, walks them through mock interviews, and offers job-search tips. But she also provides much more when it comes to preparing for the future: She helps them align their personal beliefs and ethics with potential industries and employers.

“When I ask students, ‘Who do you want to work for?’, everybody seems to name the same big companies. But there are lots of small companies that offer those same opportunities—maybe more. Looking at what motivates you in your heart and following that path is important for your career—not just the name of the company you work for.”

Given the unpredictable employment situation amid the global pandemic, Messina’s motto is this: Be adaptable and have a plan B. To help students find their way despite this current confusion, she put together a list of industries she thinks will do well and continue to hire despite the financial impacts of COVID-19—even if those industries don’t line up with students’ original intentions.

“Plan B can be just as fun and exciting as Plan A,” she says, “and I’m living proof. I thought I was going to be a teacher until I discovered I had a nose for business. Then I wanted to build a company I could hand to my kids one day. That didn’t materialize, either. What I’m doing now has brought everything full circle. And it’s something I never pictured doing.”

As Messina coaches students through the degree program, she also helps them overcome common obstacles and misconceptions. At the top of that list: Expecting to climb the corporate ladder too quickly. Instead of focusing on power and job titles, she encourages them to be focused on learning about a business, what it stands for, and the internal opportunities it offers.

To inspire students, she often shares real-world lessons and stories of her own—or those she borrows from trusted friends and colleagues. Hearing about people who worked their way up to CEO over time—or found a job as a server and went on to own restaurants—can give students the encouragement they need that it’s okay not to start at the very top.

“In the midst of what’s happening, I think people are going to look long and hard at what they want to do or where they want to work—or may pivot a little to work for an organization or industry that has more meaning for them.”

To hear more from Pat Messina please join us for a webinar next week where we will talk with Pat in more detail about her approach to career services for students in the MSC program. The webinar will be at 12 PM CST on Wednesday, October 28th. REGISTER HERE