What Culture is Your Organization?

One of the more fascinating theories Dr. Roloff introduced last week was Attraction-Selection-Attrition (ASA) Theory. The theory conveys that one applies for a job because they think they fit the organization’s culture, they are hired because the bosses feel the applicant fits the organization’s culture, and the applicant stays or leaves the organization based on how they fit with the organization’s culture. Of course, I related this to my personal work experience and tried to determine what type of culture embodied my organization.
After reflection, I concluded that my organization is predominantly a Detailed-Oriented Culture. This makes sense because my department’s responsibility is to monitor and maintain my organization’s Data Center. My co-workers and I tend to have open personalities and are very conscientious. The goal of our job descriptions is to ensure the Data Center is operating to its optimal ability. Our focus is oriented around the quality of work we are producing rather than the quantity of work like an outcome-oriented or reward-oriented culture does.
When I first applied to my organization, I had a positive experience with everyone I came in contact with. After my interviews were complete, I was hoping to be offered the job position because I felt that I could succeed at the job’s descriptions and was attracted to the work environment.
As for my five interviewers, I’m sure they felt the same way about me. It is likely I was selected not only for my credentials, but also because I would fit in with the culture and atmosphere of the department. I can say that I made a personal connection with each of my interviewers which greatly increased my chances of being hired.
I have been working at this job for 16 months and continue to enjoy my daily tasks as well as the new responsibilities I am given. I can see myself staying in my organization for many years to come. Granted, if the culture of my organization changes, then I will probably seek another job with a Detailed-Oriented Culture.
It helps to know what kind of person you are before you start searching for jobs. Sometimes, we don’t have a choice and must accept any job offered to us. However, if we want our work to be fulfilling and enjoyable, then we need to find a culture we are compatible with. So I challenge you to reflect – what kind of culture is your organization and what kind of culture do you want to work in?